Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the 2020 Wheelchair softball season
By NWSA Staff
The National Wheelchair Softball Association (NWSA) has developed guidelines regarding practices and tournaments for the 2020 summer season, including the 2020 Wheelchair Softball World Series, due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Teams should use their discretion regarding the holding of practices or the hosting of any tournament for the 2020 season. Teams should make these decisions in consultation with their sponsors and organizers under the advisement from their local community health officials.
- If tournaments are held at any time throughout the summer, teams should use discretion regarding travel and participation in another city. Considerations should include requirements dictated by local health officials and possible quarantine requirements when arriving or returning to another city or state during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Teams are requested to send updates to Commissioner Bruce Froendt at email@example.com for updates to the 2020 season schedule listed on the NWSA website and Facebook page.
- Players should use discretion regarding participating in any practices or tournaments for the 2020 season. Players should make these decisions in consultation with their families and team organizers, under the advisement from their local community health officials.
- 2020 Wheelchair Softball World Series – Biloxi, MS: A decision will be made and communicated by tournament hosts in May regarding the status of the 2020 championship tournament.
As each day passes, more information will be available within local communities to assist team organizers in making informed decisions regarding the 2020 season. The NWSA strongly encourage teams to follow the recommendations of their local public health officials to ensure the safety and health of our players, volunteers, families, and friends.
2020 USA Wheelchair Softball tournament schedule
- May 23-24 – Wheelchair Wind-Up Tournament, Pasadena, TX
- June 6-7 – 5th Mary Freebed Tournament, Grand Rapids, MI
- June 6-7 – Kansas City Diamond Tournament, Kansas City, KS/MO
- June 6-7 – Southeastern Slugfest, Greenville, SC
- June 20-21 – National Wheelcats Classic, Nashville, TN
- June 27-28 – CPD/Shirley Ryan Tournament, Chicago, IL
- July 11-12 – Minnesota Twins Tournament, Minneapolis, MN
- July 11-12 – Columbus Reds Softball Tournament, Columbus, OH
- July 11-12 – Crossroads Wheelchair Softball Classic, Victoria, TX
- July 18-19 – 20th Nebraska Barons Tournament, Omaha, NE
- July 25-26 – LWRSA Tournament, New Lenox, IL
- July 31- Aug 1 – 13th Junior Wheelchair Softball World Series, Omaha, NE
- August 6-8 – 45th Wheelchair Softball World Series (adult), Biloxi, MS
- Oct 9-10 – Team USA, Japanese Wheelchair Softball Championships, Tokyo, Japan – CANCELLED
For more information, visit the NWSA website
The NWSA does not directly or indirectly control the practices or tournaments held by teams.